Saturday, December 17, 2005

58?!

This guy's walking down a street, when he falls in a hole. The walls are so steep, he can't get out. A doctor passes by, and the guy shouts up, "Hey you! Can you help me out?" The doctor writes him a prescription, throws it down the hole and moves on.

Then a priest comes along and the guy shouts up, "Father, I'm down in this hole, can you help me out?" The priest writes out a prayer, throws it down in the hole and moves on.

Then a friend walks by. "Hey Joe, it's me, can you help me out?" And the friend jumps in the hole! Our guy says, "Are you stupid? Now we're both down here!"

And the friend says, "Yeah, but I've been down here before, and I know the way out."

As Deborah on TWoP says: "It's corny, but I lose it anyway. Only Leo (in the form of John Spencer) could carry this story off. If you look up 'salt of the earth' in the dictionary, I bet you'd find a picture of Leo."

Rest easy in the earth, Leo. And rest easy in a better place, Mr. Spencer.

(The whole story is from the "Noel" episode of NBC's "The West Wing." The script transcription comes from here.)

[Update 2009-01-03 16:04] Link fix.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I recognize that actor. Now there's another guy who died before my father. Cool.

Not that I typically don't dwell on details, but if acronyms must be "words" like LASER and RADAR, then there must be some well defined boundary between "words" and "not words."

But of course there is no such boundary. And hence Clare is wrong in many many ways, not just one as formerly assumed.

Anonymous said...

Sneaky of Joshuae to continue his diatribe (why so defensive, J'ae?) at at Leo's wake.

ShareThis