Sunday, December 18, 2005

Firefox Evangelism: The Search Box

In an earlier post, I talked about putting a Google search box on my start page. This was something that I had done back when I was using Netscape 4.7, and it was starting to look a little superfluous because of my new browser.

You see, Firefox provides a search box to Google right on the navigation bar.

However, upon closer inspection, it turns out that this box is even cooler than that. If you click on the little down arrow in the box, other search engines appear. One of the handiest that I came across is one that posts a search query to amazon.com. Now you can search for a book, or whatever, without having first to go to Amazon's honkingly slow and ugly home page! You type in what you're looking for and Firefox takes you right to the search results! In a new tab! Cool!

And then, the Amazon search engine stays as the default in the Firefox search box window, until you change it again. Even after closing the browser and turning off the computer. Way cool.

Just another reason to get Firefox.

No comments:

ShareThis