Wednesday, December 14, 2005

The Real Problem With Living in Liberal New England

It's nine o'clock on a Wednesday (or it was when I wrote this --ed.), which means that The River, the local alt rock station, is starting their show "The Chill Side of The River." Stupid names aside, it's something that I like to call "appointment radio." (In the same way that Conan likes to refer to the former almost Mrs. Affleck as "J-Lo.") It's music that one might call "space" and what I used to sniffingly refer to as "heroin music." It's not quite like music for acid heads -- less freaky, more ethereal. Primal pulse rhythms, breathy singing mixed way lower than is usual for lead singers. It's funny. I haven't smoked pot in years, but I always feel high when listening to music like this. And that's a good thing.

Of course, The River being The River, it gets a little old after three weeks. You gotta miss for a couple of weeks, then check back for some new stuff. I'm pretty sure it's all one big tape/disk -- no DJs that I can tell. Makes the commercials even more jarring, especially for us NPR types.

Right now, the commercial playing is one that's been on regular rotation ever since I moved here. Some kind of global - community - indigenous - crafts - dude - these - sandals - are - so - comfortable kind of place. They have a guy speaking in an "African" accent that's so phony that every time I hear it, I can only hear Eddie Murphy spoofing. Back when he could bring the funny.


Update

2007-05-12 13:35 EDT

Fixed broken link.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best thing about living in Mass today is that Mitt announced that he's done everything he set out to do, so he won't be running for governor again. Was his to-do list that short? Or is he that good?

bjkeefe said...

Now that Mitt Romney is leaving, he is now eligible to be called My Favorite Mormon. Good riddance, I say.

Word 'round the campfire is that Mitt thinks he can win the Rep. nomination in 2008.

But my own guess as to his motivations is this: despite having power all out of proportian to the number of people who took his side in the gay marriage debate, he doesn't think he can win that fight. That is, those other six losers will have to battle on without him.

"So long, suckas!" he was heard to mumble at his press conference. Okay, I made that part up.

bjkeefe said...

Oh, and as for good things that he's accomplished, here's how many I know about: 0.

ShareThis