Friday, January 20, 2006

IM hopeful

So, I just got done with my first Instant Messaging session.

Yeah, yeah.

As with everything else, I was a late adopter. Last one to get DSL, last one to start a blog, . . . hell, last one to buy an answering machine.

(In my own defense, I was an early adopter of email.
(Although, truth be told, I initially vocalized some doubt about it, whereupon my fellow sysop preached, "But you can send email to your friends at other colleges!" Whereupon I
(the 29 year old sophomore)
said, "Friends at other colleges?" Whereupon he said, "Where are you from, Cranston?"
(an inside the URI beltway joke)
)
)
At any rate, it was cool. MK is correct in characterizing IM as a place in which one carries on two different conversations, even when talking to just one person. But still, that's how some of my friends like to communicate these days, and I say, that's all good.

I had downloaded Trillian a while back, out of a vague sense of needing to . . . I don't know, be chat-enabled? And I gotta say, it just worked when I finally launched it tonight. Even on my ancient Win98 machine.

I'm such a newbie with regard to chat that I can't say much more than that. But, it just worked. I typed in my user name associated with a Yahoo! email account, and bing! There was one of my friends, twenty-five hundred miles away, saying, "Ha! I told you so!"

At any rate, if you want to watch me make typos in real time, my screen name on Yahoo! chat (is that the right terminology?) is the same as the first part of this blog's name.

IM me.

Man, just saying that makes me feel young.

No comments:

ShareThis