Sunday, May 14, 2006

Gone, Baby, Gone

I have finally bitten the bullet, and canceled my Earthlink account. A bit sad, in some ways -- I started with them back in the late 90s, when they were a Pasadena-based startup that was so small that they didn't even have a Pasadena number for dial-in access.

For the past few months, I had the account autoforwarding to my new email address, mostly as a courtesy to those of you who hadn't had a chance to update your address books. (If you still haven't, see this page.)

This is also the address by which most spammers "know me," so the autoforwarding meant that my new address got all of the old spam. It was initially a bit off-putting, and then quickly delightful, to check my mail this morning, now that the Earthlink account is no more, and see this many spams: 0.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.wildthingsphotography.com/

Anonymous said...

good riddance! isn't earthlink run by an alliance of scientologists, polygamists, pederests, and baby seal clubbers?

er something

bjkeefe said...

I will admit that the Scientology thing pushed me into the final cancellation. I was tempted to say so when asked why I was leaving by the customer service woman. But then I thought, hey, they have my credit card number. Let's not go there just yet.

BTW, it seems that both canceled and cancelled are accepted spellings, but only the 2L version of cancellation makes the cut. (I had to write that down somewhere, in hopes of remembering it.)

ShareThis