Tuesday, July 18, 2006

My Thoughts Get Spanked

A while back, I posted a brief rant about the decline of newspapers, in which I blamed the stock market's control and longed for a return to private ownership. I argued that our flavor of capitalism features an obsession with the next fiscal quarter, and . . . well, no need to reiterate the whole thing when you could just go read it.

Anyway, I'm listening to the most recent On The Media, and what should I come across, but this piece (sound | transcript)?

OTM's blurb:

Fortune Magazine editor-at-large Justin Fox tells Bob that the whole affair [about the recent mass resignations at the Santa Barbara News-Press --ed.] is a reminder that the publicly-held model is, more often than not, simply better for journalism.

Ouch.

Well . . . Forbes, right? A magazine with the motto "Capitalist Tool."

Oh, wait. That guy is from Fortune.

I'll shut up now.

No comments:

ShareThis