Thursday, September 07, 2006

Thoughts while disconnected

Uh-oh

9/5/2006 06:30 PDT Cambria

My new cell phone, which already creeps me out by being aware of when I change time zones, bothered me just a little bit more yesterday. I opened the phone up and a message popped up on the screen:

Local time is now 01:60 pm.
Update clock?

In defense of the phone, it was in fact 2:00 pm at the time, so one could say that the phone was not so much in error as it was differing from me on semantics.

But still.


Guy Thing

9/6/2006 23:09 PDT Berkeley

Why is there no female equivalent for the word "manfully?"

I mean, you never hear someone say, "She tried womanfully to ..." whatever.

Does this mean that men try to do things in other ways, and that it is therefore necessary to characterize the individual attempts?

Well, adverbs. Probably not worth making that big a deal over this.

No comments:

ShareThis