Sunday, February 11, 2007

Today's lead story in the NYT …

… is the new holder of the record for the most "I'm shocked, shocked!" responses:

Congress Finds Ways to Avoid Lobbyist Limits

If you insist on torturing yourself, story here.

-----

The headline and teaser from the first runner up:

Troubles Grow for a University Built on Profits
Educators and students say the University of Phoenix’s focus on the bottom line has eroded academic quality.

This story is worth a glance, if for no other reason than the disturbing photo of the University's president.

-----

You do have to take some hope in learning that bishops in the Anglican church are called "primates," however. Maybe Darwin isn't on the Index of Forbidden Books for all sects.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Call me old fashioned, but I think it's GOOD to go to classes. I know you can have chats on line, but it seems like a really poor second choice. I know, I know. For shut-ins and those is deep rural-urbia these on-line universities are a boon.

Where does all the money go? I realize that for Phoenix, it goes into investors' pockets (and to nifty sweaters for its president), but why is Phoenix relying on part-time "instructors"? Why don't they pay some committed educators a comfortable full-time salary? Trickle down effects to the students would be tangible. I bet they'd see graduation percentages climb.

Why are college and university tuitions skyrocketing at paces that far surpass inflation, yet more and more teaching is being relegated to adjuncts and part-time "instructors" who earn about $9/hour? (N=1 sample disclosure: I'm an "adjunct instructor" at a university.)

To whom or what is the money going?

I guess, like so much of the world, the answer lies in the markets. The market is flooded with advanced degrees. In fact, the only place I note the rise in union action is the movements at universities for grad students and adjuncts.

ShareThis