Sunday, July 29, 2007

There's Never a Camera Around When You Want One

While dropping off my rental truck a short while ago, I looked at the ground right behind where I had parked my car. I saw two-thirds of a broken CD, with the handwritten label "Fuck Mix." Next to it was a torn-off doll's head. I can't get this image out of my mind. If I weren't so thrashed, I'd drive back over there, camera in hand.

I'll spare you the other 900+ words. I'll just say: this would have made a great picture.

In other hilarity at UHaul: When I showed up this morning to pick up the truck, I had to wait about a half an hour to get the key. Seems the previous renter had dropped off the truck the night before, but brought the key home.

Me: "Don't you have spare keys for just such eventualities?"

Proprietor: "Yes. That was the spare key."

Lesson: If you only bring two cigarettes for the errand, because you think it'll be quick, you're plain asking for it.

But it all worked out well. Even got a shout-out of "Welcome to the neighborhood!" from a passerby, while unloading. The moving crew, though 50% undersized, did a fine job. The only one to break something was yours truly. The movers were kind enough not to snicker.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

"...While dropping off my rental truck a short while ago, I looked at the ground right behind where I had parked my car. I saw two-thirds of a broken CD, with the handwritten label "Fuck Mix." Next to it was a torn-off doll's head..."

Sounds like a pseudo-Breadloaf MFA writing exercise. Let's have the 900 words...

bjkeefe said...

I might, if you explain what "Breadloaf" means.

Anonymous said...

Sorry. Bread Loaf.

http://www.middlebury.edu/academics/blwc/

bjkeefe said...

Don -- I do like that on the Bread Loaf page that you supplied, I see a link to the "Crumb Newsletter" and another to "Bakeless Literary Prizes." I'll have to spend some more time on that site!

Thanks for your follow-up. If you want too many words about not enough happening, you might see one of my more recent posts, here.

ShareThis