Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Hard to believe I didn't think of this one

Or I should be happy that I have let not let George Bush and Rudy Giuliani burn the date too deeply into my brain. Nonetheless, it's a good thing we have people like Tim Grieve around:

Pushing back against reports that the White House would prevent Gen. David Petraeus from testifying in public about his report on the success of the "surge," Bush administration spokesman Gordon Johndroe said last week that Petraeus will, in fact, testify before Congress, both in public and in private, "prior to ... Sept. 15."

Anyone want to guess the actual date?

Right.

TC and I have been going back and forth about this for a couple of days now. He had called my attention to the trial balloon of Petraeus not testifying in public, and I had wondered whether the Bush Administration was waiting to see how much blowback would come from this. As it turns out, there's been a lot of blowback.

As it surprisingly turns out, the Bushies for once have a Plan B. In this case, they're going to write the report Petraeus was supposed to, as Tim Grieve notes in another post. (Others have also noted this: [1], [2], [3]).

Going out on a limb department: I predict the actual public testimony by Petraeus before Congress will make the kabuki theater of, say, confirmation hearings for Supreme Court justices seem like hard-hitting cross-examination.

No comments:

ShareThis