Friday, October 12, 2007

Security Updates -- Windows, Java, and QuickTime

(Updated: just wordsmithing)

Windows

Probably you have Automatic Updates turned on for Windows. If not, stop what you're doing and go visit http://update.microsoft.com/. There are some nasty holes to be patched, particularly in IE.

Java

Sun announced a security upgrade for the Java Runtime Environment, which will take you to Version 6 Update 3. You probably have some version of the JRE installed -- this is what enables you and your browser to run Java apps on web sites that use them. I didn't get a notification about installing the upgrade, as has happened in the past, so you might not, either. Fortunately, we have Brian Krebs.

To check your version of Java, visit http://java.com/en/ and click on the "Do I have Java?" link. This link will examine your version and offer any needed upgrades. I had Version 6 Update 2 installed. The upgrade was about 7 MB and took about three minutes. It works through the browser, so you'll have to restart your browser after the installation is complete for the upgrade to take effect.

QuickTime

Krebs also recently noted another QuickTime security update. (I imagine this applies to Mac users as well, but I don't have my Mac hooked up right now to verify this.) On the Windows platform, the update is only available for Windows XP and Vista, so I can't say anything about it -- Apple insists my Win2K machine's version is up to date, even though the version number for QuickTime is well behind what's current.

NB: If you think you don't have QuickTime installed, but you do have iTunes installed, then you probably have QuickTime lurking on your machine. This applies to both Macs and PCs.

2 comments:

Beth said...

I have a Mac.
Thanks for the head's up re: QuickTime (re: iTunes).

bjkeefe said...

You're welcome. I presume the upgrade was smooth?

ShareThis