Thursday, January 03, 2008

Yeah, It's Only Iowa, But ...

... I thought I might be happy somewhere down the road that I grabbed a screenshot of this page from the NY Times. Click image to enlarge.

iowa-caucus-results-11pm


Note that the Democrat vote totals are for projected delegates, while the Republican totals are for actual voters. The Democratic Party doesn't release voter counts, apparently.


Unrelated factoid: The page where I grabbed the image from also has a nice Flash thing that lets you display the results by county. When you let your mouse hover above a county, a little window pops up to show the county name and results for that county. Consequently, I now know that Des Moines is not in Des Moines County. Des Moines is in Polk County, in the center of the state, and Des Moines County is on the southeastern border of the state. I'm pretty sure it's not a mistake on the NYT's part. Wikipedia agrees, for example.

Who else knew that, before right now?

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Geesh, I'm still trying to figure out how the Dems calculate delegate totals from the popular caucus vote!

And, why do people show up to vote "uncommitted"?

bjkeefe said...

Baltimoron:

I'm also a little puzzled by the delegate assignment process. I know it's not a straight proportional assignment; e.g., x voters = 1 delegate. There's that 15% threshold for one thing, and the second-choice aspect (which I think has real weight), for another. But for now, I'm happy with the headline.

As to why the uncommitted show up, I can only guess that they think they have something to sell. Few things irritate me more than undecided voters -- if you can't make up your mind after a year, what does that say about your thought process?

ShareThis