Saturday, March 08, 2008

And Speaking of Memes

(John Evo: still working on my assigned one. I promise.)

I never did play Dungeons and Dragons. I was more of a wannabe jock during the time that I might have picked up the game. Even on rainy days, I was all about chess and Strat-O-Matic.

Truth be told, I have to admit that the scare stories about D&D worked on me a little bit. In my own defense, I was an altar boy at the same time as the book everyone was reading was The Exorcist. I hope you can forgive my moment of susceptibility.

Anyway, it will come as no surprise that most of the blogs that I read have had plenty to say about the recent death of the game's co-inventor. Here are two of my favorite bits. First, from defective yeti:

Rest in peace, Gary Gygax. Einstein once said that God does not play dice with the universe, but I'm sure you'll convince Him to start.

Next, xkcd:

(click pic to enlarge)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

(My own lame attempt at humour is barely worth mentioning ...)

I was about 13 when I started getting into D&D. Ended up more interested in Traveller but was still hugely influenced by Gygax nonetheless.

Also very impressed when he guest-starred on Futurama: "It's a ... " (rolls dice) " ... pleasure to meet you!"

bjkeefe said...

"It's a ... " (rolls dice) " ... pleasure to meet you!"

That, in a nutshell, is why I am filled with regret never to have been part of D&D.

Great line!

bjkeefe said...

Oh, and regarding the lameness of your attempt? Not so. Unless you want to label the majority of the blogosphere as equally "challenged."

If you were first with that, you deserve props. If not, well, it's not like I haven't had a thought that seemed original, only to Google it and find out how mainstream my mind was on that point, too.

ShareThis