Sunday, March 09, 2008

Crunch This

Following a link from Roy to a post by Rod Dreher, I was moved to post the following comment. I expect it to be deleted, so here is a copy for the record. I have fixed one typo here, as noted in square brackets.

Rod:

I myself do not often visit your blog. Your appearances on BloggingHeads.tv convinced me that you were beneath consideration. I have had my say about your worldview in the forums over there (username bjkeefe). Occasionally, I drop by when Roy or someone else links to something that you've said that's particularly ludicrous, just to be sure you're not being quoted out of context. Invariably, you aren't.

In answer to your question about why people keep visiting your blog if they apparently hate it, I can only say: it should be obvious. Some of us find it a worthy use of time to shoot down wingnuttia where ever we find it. Some of us are convinced that the only way to defeat the right-wing noise machine is to fight fire with fire. We've tried reasoned discourse, and that didn't work. I[t] seems that the only option left open is to pound down the caffeine and rebut every single one of your specious claims, every time you all repeat them. You all named the tactics, starting at least three decades ago. This is the blowback.

Even without reading Larry Parker's words, I'm inclined to bet that he's right in everything he says that's critical of you. I can only salute him for his persistence on this particular front. I fight alongside him, but in different theaters.

You say that you are contemplating "the possibility of ending this blog." I can only say: promises, promises. Guys like you rarely stop proselytizing, and you all never miss a chance to play the victim card. I'd be willing to bet that you'll still be pouring out your patented woe-is-me, different-types-of-people-are-scary drivel twenty years from now.

I dare you not to delete this post.

2 comments:

bjkeefe said...

(A comment, signed by "Erin Manning," copied from over there. I reproduce this, and the following, since my reply to Erin did not appear to post. Maybe my entire persona has been banned from BeliefNet. Wouldn't be the first time.)

Oh, goodness, Brendan, Rod won't delete your post (at least, I don't think so, but if he does he's of course welcome to delete my response to it). You've written a beautiful illustration of the kind of silly self-importance blog commenters sometimes drape themselves in, as if you have some sort of sacred mandate to troll the internet looking for People Who Are Wrong (according to you) and, with the acerbic condescension common to your tribe, correct all their faults, not so much for their own sake (because you know, with that all-seeing wisdom that inspires you to pound the keyboard, that They'll Never Change) but for the sake of those nameless faceless readers who will swoon over your impressively reasoned and artfully written comments, see in a blinding flash faintly redolent of patchouli just how Right You Are, and join you in the mocking pity directed at the blog host who Clearly Doesn't Get It.

It's cute, that your sort have this script running in their heads. Completely disconnected from reality, of course, but cute.

bjkeefe said...

(My reply to Erin:)

*** Reply to Erin Manning ***

Well said, Erin. And props to you for using your full name. I only wish that BeliefNet allowed hyperlinking to commenters' names, so I could see what else you have to say, assuming you post additional thoughts elsewhere.

To your response, specifically:

You're well within your rights to label my tone as "silly self-importance." I'll ask you, however, to consider the plausibility of the idea that anyone who posts a comment, or runs a blog, for that matter, is equally so characterized. We are all convinced of the worthiness of our own thoughts, wish that others would accept them, and in the end, are no more than single voices among the teeming billions. In this particular case, I understand Rod as the kind of person who wishes for a world that I would consider a throwback to the Dark Ages. Maybe he's right, maybe I am. The only thing I can do is to state my distaste for his taste.

The hope, when I'm being magnanimous, is that the strenuous disagreement might result in some ideas that we could both agree upon (and you too, of course). That's the only way forward, and ultimately, the only way for our species to survive.

The reality is, sadly, that you disagree so strongly with thinking that doesn't match yours that you feel compelled to resort to caricature words like "troll," "condescension," and "patchouli." Funny that you should castigate me for espousing The One True Way, which I do not pretend to know, when you seem equally convinced that yours is.

If you'd like to read my thoughts in more detail, just Google "bjkeefe." (Most "Brendan Keefes" that come from Google are not me.) You seem like an interesting person to debate. I hope you'll drop by, or offer a link, here, to a place of your own. Maybe we can get past the flamethrower talk and have a real conversation.

ShareThis