Thursday, March 06, 2008

IE 8 Beta

(Updated below)


I see that Microsoft has released the first beta version of Internet Explorer 8. I'm disappointed to note that, as with IE7, it will not run on Windows 2000. I don't have any burning desire to use it, but it would be nice to be able to run it occasionally, to verify how people who do prefer IE see my blog.

There has been a lot of spin from MS about the embrace of Web standards in the newest version of IE. Makes you wonder what else they're throwing under the hood, then, that it can't run on their own older operating systems. After all, Firefox runs on a variety of operating systems -- pretty much all flavors of Linux and Unix, all versions of Mac OS X, and Windows down to Win98.


Update

2008-03-06 19:26

Doesn't sound at all good. I know beta is the new alpha, especially for Microsoft, but this one really sounds not ready for regular users. Also sounds like IE 8 will try its best to direct you to Microsoft services for generic Web 2.0 tasks. Ick.

(h/t: Buzz Out Loud)

2 comments:

Beth said...

I'm too enamoured with Firefox to bother with IE8.

(Thanks for your comments re: labeling. I like to think I'm adding to the the "Web of knowledge!")

bjkeefe said...

Re: Firefox vs IE: I always knew you were a woman of taste, Beth.

ShareThis