Thursday, March 06, 2008

Java Update

There's a new version of Java available: Version 6 Update 5.

If you use a browser, chances are you have Java installed. Visit http://java.com/en/ and click the "Do I have Java?" link to check your current version. If you're behind, you can download the latest version right from that page.

I can't find a page detailing what's new. Various security sites just say this patch addresses some "known vulnerabilities." (Scare quotes intended!)

If you do download and install a new version, you'll need to close your browser and restart it for the changes to take effect. Everything seemed to work fine for me, for whatever that's worth.

2 comments:

Christian Ullenboom said...

There is even a Java SE 6 Update N (Java Kernel) under http://download.java.net/jdk6/ (Java™ Platform, Standard Edition 6u10). Christian

bjkeefe said...

Christian:

Thanks for adding your note.

I consciously decided not to get into the other aspects of Java besides the JRE/browser plugin component. It is my impression that most of my readers who pay any attention to my posts about software updates only care about such things from the point of view of using the computer as an appliance.

ShareThis