Wednesday, March 19, 2008

What Gavin M. Said

Okay, I said in the previous post that I'd prefer people to watch the speech for themselves, rather than relying on what other people said about it, but this was so resonant, I just couldn't resist:

Not to favor a candidate or anything, but I'll tell you: What you don't realize going into some of these Obama speeches -- not all of them, certainly, but the occasional really good, custom-made ones -- is that you're going to come out the other end slightly smarter and better-adjusted, and feeling like you're part of a historic moment.

I mean, sure you realize that: You start off all like, "Welp, here's Obama again with that thing of his, trying to make me feel like I'm part of a quote-unquote historic moment, and so forth." But then you settle in and listen, and soon you're like, "Wait a second. Despite the fact that I’m not, so to speak, buying into any big, whole Obama thing, and don’t actually feel like I'm part of any giant, rolling Obama Borg-whatsis, it’s starting to seem, despite these objective facts, which are real, like this actually is kind of a historic moment, here, with Barry and what he’s saying."


Added: Oh, okay, one more. Go read the Rude Pundit, who liveblogged the speech. I was going to offer some excerpts, but I didn't want to step on his lines. (My favorites are 10:59 - 11:02, 11:05, 11:23, and the post's closing grafs.)

No comments:

ShareThis