Saturday, May 24, 2008

Hilzoy on Hillary

Making sense, as usual.

(h/t: Andrew Sullivan)


I tried to pick an excerpt, but it would have been 90% of the post at minimum. So just go read it, and be sure to follow his links to Josh Marshall and Ezra Klein's pieces, too.

Matthew Yglesias made a canny observation yesterday that all this talk about Clinton pushing for the VP slot could very likely be explained as coming from Clinton campaign staffers, all of whom will soon be looking for jobs. This makes sense to me.

In any case, the more I think about it, the more I don't want Hillary to be the VP. I think she would be a good campaigner (though not great), I don't think she adds much to the ticket where other choices might not bring more, and I don't believe most of her supporters will carry their grudges through November when they really think about what a McSame presidency would mean. Much more importantly, I think she (and Bill, and all of her staffers) would be absolutely dreadful in the Obama Administration. I can't see her being a good second-in-command, given her behavior over the past two or three months of this campaign. I think there would be endless bickering, leaks to the press, Bill pontificating, "Well, back when I was president …"

No. Much better for Obama just to win, fair and square. He could be magnanimous and throw his support behind her for Senate Majority Leader, or even offer her a seat on the Supreme Court. But I think it's best not to have her in his White House.

No comments:

ShareThis