Friday, June 20, 2008

Firefox 3: Disappeaing Quick Edit Icon Problem Solved

I noted in a previous post that after installing Firefox 3, I could no longer see the "quick edit" icons (the pencil under the posts and the wrench/screwdriver under the sidebar items) while logged into and viewing my own blog. I have just solved my problem.

It turns out that Firefox 3 added a new privacy option (Tools → Options → Privacy tab), labeled "Accept third-party cookies." As installed on my system, possibly in accordance with settings from my previous installed version of Firefox 2, this box was unchecked. Checking this box makes the quick edit icons/links reappear.

IIRC, this specific privacy setting was in Firefox 1.x and was removed from Ffox 2.x. And now, apparently, it is back.

The unfortunate aspect to this is that in most cases, I do not want third-party cookies to be set. Ah, well. At least the technical problem has been cleared up.

BTW, the Blogger Help page that gave me the hint to look for this setting is here.

(This info cross-posted to the Blogger Help Group on Google Groups.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Unless I missed something, my tab add-ons are still inoperative. And, I had raw posts stored in WLW that are in limbo until IE and FF3 get back to loving.

Still, it's more like griping about a family member. Short of Yahoo! buying Mozilla, I think I'm set with FF for awhile.

ShareThis