Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Something to Watch For

Stephen Wolfram is running a project called Wolfram Alpha, scheduled to go live in May. The claim is, it will give answers to factual questions, through actual computation.

If you thought Ask Jeeves was as lame as I thought Ask Jeeves was (last tried it years ago, admittedly), you might already be rolling your eyes at this one. But I dunno. I'm going to be interested in trying it out. I still remember how amazing Mathematica was when it came out, way back when WYSIWYG was still gee whiz.

I'm sure there will be a brief flurry of hilarious wrong answers that we will blog about when the beta version of Alpha opens for business. We will tolerate that for a couple of weeks without grumpiness. However, let's agree up front that anyone who says "Google killer" will immediately be dipped in ketchup and fed to rabid weasels.

(h/t: TWiT)

No comments:

ShareThis