Monday, March 02, 2009

Spine of Steele

And speaking of the ever-diminishing testicular fortitude of every Republican official in the nation, here is your brave new Chairman of the RNC!

Saturday 28 February 2009:

Steele: Rush Isn't The GOP's Leader -- He's An Entertainer

Check out this interview Michael Steele did Saturday night with D.L. Hughley on CNN, in the wake of Rush Limbaugh's speech at CPAC proudly proclaiming that he wants President Obama to fail.

Finding himself in unfriendly territory, Steele said that Rush is not the leader of the Republican Party -- Steele is:

[video at link]

"Let's put it in the context here," said Steele. "Rush Limbaugh is an entertainer. Rush Limbaugh, his whole thing is entertainment."

"Yes, it's incendiary," Steele added. "Yes, it's ugly."

Monday 2 March 2009:

Steele Apologizes To Limbaugh, Praises His Leadership

In the new game of chicken between Michael Steele and Rush Limbaugh, the loser is...Michael Steele, who now says he never meant to diminish the voice and leadership of Limbaugh.

In an interview with the Politico, Steele said: "My intent was not to go after Rush - I have enormous respect for Rush Limbaugh. I was maybe a little bit inarticulate...There was no attempt on my part to diminish his voice or his leadership."

[...]

"I went back at that tape and I realized words that I said weren't what I was thinking," said Steele. "It was one of those things where I thinking I was saying one thing, and it came out differently."

If the GOP can't stand up to Rush Limbaugh, how will they ever stand up to the turrurists???

(cross-posted at BH.tv)

2 comments:

ArtSparker said...

Letterman did a nice riff on R.L.'s wardrobe. I have been wondering if Obama set the whole thing up with that casual remark re "you can't all be listening..." to elevate the guy, who only 60% of Republicans approve of. Emmanuel has certainly been talking him up, as in his remarks about any Republican making negative remarks about Limbaugh will apologize in 48 hours.

bjkeefe said...

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to look for that Letterman bit. [Added: Found a two-minute clip on HuffPo.]

I think you're right about the strategy of making El Rushbo the face of the GOP -- the Dems love it, and it appears to be gaining coordination. Read about it starting with Steve Benen (follow-up, also), for example.

I am unsure whether Obama was planting the first seed with that seemingly casual remark, but intentional or not, it sure seems to have taken root, and I'm loving watching it grow.

ShareThis