Tuesday, August 17, 2010

And now for a moment of self-congratulations

save-excursion (

I wrote my first Lisp code today! It was defun ()!

Hurrah! I am now only, what, a half-century behind the cutting edge!


(h/t: Steve Yegge. [Added2: and for one part in particular, Brandon Kuczenski via CMS at Stackoverflow])


[Added] Related: RMS: "My Lisp Experiences and the Development of GNU Emacs." For fans and students only, probably.


Alastair said...

Congratulations! Emacs lisp is not the easiest language there is, but it's strangely rewarding.

And here are a bunch of close parens; you'll need 'em.


(an old joke, I know...)

Brendan said...

LOL! No, I've heard Emacs paren jokes before, but not that one.

Actually, given that Emacs has been flashing back and forth on pairs of parens since I first started* using it, I've never understood why people make this complaint.

* Since the days when "Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping" was a backronym with teeth, I mean.