Thursday, October 14, 2010

Line of the Day: 2010-10-14

In her famous essay on Hollywood, Pauline Kael described it as a place where you could die of encouragement. That may still be true of Tinseltown; in Tumortown you sometimes feel that you may expire from sheer advice.
    -- Christopher Hitchens

The whole thing is worth reading, especially (1) if you like you a little gallows humor and (2) if you want to hear of a real-life consequence of letting wingnuts decide science policy.

(h/t: TC, via email)

2 comments:

claymisher said...

Don't forget he voted for Bush

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004/oct/31/uselections2004.comment2

bjkeefe said...

There's no doubt I am completely at odds with some of his views and have been appalled at some of the things he's said and done. I won't defend his endorsement of W that you linked to, certainly, but generally, I find that much, if not most, of what he writes that I disagree with useful in how it challenges my own views.

Whatever his warts, he's a good man and a good writer, and in the end, I'll always count him as a worthwhile member of humanity. This puts him in a very select group.

ShareThis