Sunday, September 08, 2013

Actually, Andrew Bacevich, the correct answers are ...

... Nothing long-term positive that I can think of, Body counts!, No, No, and No, but your point, sir, is well-taken, nonetheless.

“If you think back to 1980,” Bacevich tells Donahue, “and just sort of tick off the number of military enterprises that we have been engaged in that part of the world, large and small, you know, Beirut, Afghanistan, Iraq, Yemen, Somalia — and on and on, and ask yourself, ‘What have we got done? What have we achieved? Is the region becoming more stable? Is it becoming more Democratic? Are we enhancing America’s standing in the eyes of the people of the Islamic world?’ ‘The answers are, ‘No, no, and no.’ So why, Mr. President, do you think that initiating yet another war in this protracted enterprise is going to produce a different outcome?”

I have not actually watched this interview, because I'm sure I'll agree with everything else he says, but it's out there if you want it.

(h/t: LibertyBelleJ)

3 comments:

M. Bouffant said...

Wait a damn minute; all this has been to make the region more capital-D Democratic?

bjkeefe said...

Haha! Nice catch. That bothered me, too, but I forgot to edit it when I did the blockquoting.

bjkeefe said...

Or maybe, subconsciously, I felt it might add to wingnut irritation. Which is always worth doing.

ShareThis