Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Save any web page as PDF without installing any extra software

(Assuming you have the Google Chrome browser installed already, I mean.)

Open any web page inside Google Chrome, press Ctrl+P (or Cmd+P if you are on a Mac) to open the Print dialog and change the destination printer to “Save as PDF.” Hit the Print button and the current web page will instantly download as a PDF document. Simple!

For me, the Print button changed to a Save button, but it did in fact work.

One more thing. You can also use Chrome’s PDF engine to convert your local image files, text files and any local HTML web pages to PDFs – if you an open a file in Chrome, it can convert the file to PDF.

[Digital Inspiration via Don McArthur]

4 comments:

Substance McGravitas said...

The Mac guys already have this of course, but GhostScript has existed for a long time and is pretty good. It was a handy tool at work until various layers of management decided they should pay for Acrobat licenses for every machine in their purview.

bjkeefe said...

Wow. I haven't heard Ghostscript mentioned since back in the days when generating PostScript files was all the rage.

I didn't know that you could save a Web page as PDF on Macs. Is it done through Safari? Or is it done through Safari in conjunction with something built into the operating system? (I don't see such an option on my PC version of Safari, is what I'm saying.)

Substance McGravitas said...

It's system-wide.

bjkeefe said...

Oh, that's right. I think I once knew that.

Thanks for the reminder.

ShareThis