Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Okay, so THAT's not so evil

And from the beginning of that "Learn more" link:

We’re getting rid of over 60 different privacy policies across Google and replacing them with one that’s a lot shorter and easier to read.

Yes, yes. Internet lawyers will no doubt find stuff to quibble with farther down that page than I cared to read. But at least now they only have to scrutinize one. And Google deserves an attaboy for that.

[Added] Apparently K. Drum does not feel the same. I will point out, however, that he appears to have formed his opinions on this not from reading the primary sources, but from reading the Washington Post. And you know what friends don't let friends do …

4 comments:

Jack said...

Don't know how seriously to take this. I know nothing of the source.

bjkeefe said...

That "ZOMG they're sharing data across applications" reaction is not an unusual one.

I guess I always thought they were.

Jack said...

Yeah, I must say, I find the news rather underwhelming, myself. "ZOMG" is a good characterization of how some feel. I'm not totally and absolutely certain I shouldn't care, but at most I expect the consequences to be annoying in a trivial way.

bjkeefe said...

Probably worth skimming updated policies. Maybe start with the FAQs. I still can't see what I'm supposed to be so scared about.

But I suppose people would rather shriek without doing anything to inform themselves.

ShareThis