Friday, October 13, 2006

Line of the Day: 2006-10-13

What's wrong with being elitist, if you are trying to encourage people to join the elite rather than being exclusive?
--Richard Dawkins, in an interview on Salon (S$)

Dawkins is one of my heroes, if you didn't already know. I think it is especially fitting that a man who inveigles so eloquently against superstition should be cited on Friday the 13th.

On a related note, I recently saw a line from Tom Delay, in one of those NY Times pieces where fundamentalists get an undeserved amount of ink to whine about their "persecution" in the United States. Delay said society "treats Christianity like a second-class superstition."

Had I been there, I would have gone all Ali G on him, and said, "So, you view it as a first-class superstition?"


[2006-10-14 23:17 EDT]: Fixed the last line. (Thanks for the eagle eye, Josh.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean first-class?

bjkeefe said...

Indeed I did. I must have had a head full of Britishisms from reading the Dawkins interview.

ShareThis