Thursday, October 21, 2010

Serendipity for an Insomniac

Two nights ago, I was stuck in front of the teevee after watching the baseball. While surfing around looking for more South Park reruns, I happened across a movie, just starting, that I had never seen and always kinda, sorta thought I wanted to see.

Whoa.

I'm here to tell you that if you haven't ever seen Fight Club, and the reason is, like mine was, because you don't think there's all that much appeal in watching Brad Pitt and Edward Norton box, it is a whole lot more than that. I don't want to say anything more, because if you don't know anything about it, you should have the pleasure of being as surprised as I was. But, assuming you're not too squeamish about some moments of violence, do give it a shot. Netflix it or something, but I will state that even with commercial interruptions and annoying censorship [1], I was entranced. Powerfully strange and at times, delightfully playful.




[1] It is an enduring mystery to me why it is still considered impermissible to say fuck and shit on late night basic cable, but it is fine to say goddam as often as you like. I would think if I were a Tony Perkins/Brent Bozell-type of tightass, I would care at least as much about goddam as I would about any Anglo-Saxon monosyllables. I mean, in light of that Third Commandment [2] and all.

[2] Or Second, if you're one of those papists, which … hey, look! All this time, I thought Bozo was a Baptist, like Perkins. Fight, fight!

2 comments:

Don McArthur said...

Hey, you know the first rule of Fight Club, right?

By the by, I just saw The Social Network and thought it was a hoot.

bjkeefe said...

The Zeroth Rule of Fight Club is that you do not mention the first rule. ;)

I'm tempted by TSN only because of Sorkin. Glad to hear you liked it. Maybe I will watch it someday.

ShareThis