Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Resolved: To Not Always Follow The Rules

One of my language pet peeves is a reverse of my usual reactionary stance in these matters: I dislike people insisting upon never splitting infinitives.

To my mind, many a sentence has a slightly different connotation if the rule is always blindly followed. Here's an example:

I don't even have an e-mail address. I have reached an age where my main purpose is not to receive messages.

This Umberto Eco line* sounds like Eco is implying that he has another main purpose, when I think he is really trying to say, "I have reached an age where my main purpose is to not receive messages."

Granted, he could have said, "I have reached an age where my main purpose is to avoid receiving messages." And I do admit, I prefer the recast sentence to the split infinitive version in this example. (Note to self: think before typing.)

But still. It's not always easy to recast. I'm on the hunt for a better example. And I'm no fuddy-duddy -- send your suggestions to me by email or any other message format.


*Eco, according to Donald Knuth, according to Neal Stephenson

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.wisdomquotes.com/

Anonymous said...

To be or to not be, that is the question. Whether tis nobler of the mind to suffer the slings and..
Splitting the infinitive with an adverb changes the impact in some way that doesn't seem necessarily all bad.

Compare:

"To really try to write grammatically is important."

Somehow that seems clearer and has more force than:

"Really to try to write grammatically is important."

I think the first version puts the emphasis on "try" while the second version puts the emphasis on the whole concept in a more general way.

While the second version is undoubtedly correct, somehow it seems less effective than the first. So are we looking for clarity of expression and effective communication, or are we seeking grammatically correct, but less effective writing?

To really know, one has to somehow define one's goals. What I meant to say, of course, was: Really to know one has somehow to define one's goals. I guess it's acceptable to split "have to", or would Sistrunk and White insist on Really to know, one must somehow define one's goals? :-)

You knew you'd get a rise out of me didn't you, Brendan.

bjkeefe said...

Well said, TC.

I do wish to point out that in The Elements of Style, EB White has a wonderful line about learning the rules, so that when it is desirable to break one, you can do so with grace.

ShareThis