Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Tagged!

I got tagged by Dan TUA a short while ago.

Here are the rules for this particular tagging:

  • Find the nearest book
  • Name the book
  • The author
  • Turn to page 123
  • Go to the fifth sentence on the page
  • Copy out the next three sentences and post to your blog.
  • Tag three more folks.

This is my first time being tagged, so if I mess up the etiquette, sorry. A'ight. Here goes.

The Boys on the Bus, by Timothy Crouse.

They saved most of their venom for George McGovern, however. They called McGovern "the doyen of the Democratic Party's left fringe." They consistently played down his victories and scoffed at his candidacy.

I now tag: Brando, Dan Weston, and Jinnet.


Here's the etiquette part I don't know about. Do I get to say anything more about the book?

Assuming "yes" …

As it happens, I recently picked this book up for $0.99, from the used book annex of the local B&N. (Haven't found a good independent used book store here in Rochacha yet.) I have been toying with writing something about this book, so it's right here next to the keyboard.

The Boys on the Bus is a pretty amazing book. It was written in 1972, originally as an article for Rolling Stone, back when that mag wasn't a rag, and Crouse later fleshed it out into a book.

For the young 'uns, here's some context: In 1972, Richard Nixon, a Republican, was running for reelection. Watergate had not yet become a big issue. George McGovern, a senator from South Dakota, was at first considered a long shot candidate for the Democratic Party nomination. Edmund Muskie, a senator from Maine, was the early favorite, and Hubert Humphrey, a senator from Minnesota and VP under Lyndon Johnson (1963-1968), was a close second.

Four years earlier, in 1968, Johnson did not run for reelection. Humphrey became the nominee, with Muskie as his running mate. They lost a fairly close election to Nixon and Spiro Agnew.

Finally, 1972 was the the first year where winning primaries became critical to securing the nomination.

I hope it's not a spoiler for anybody to say that Nixon won reelection in a landslide. Many people who have a passing familiarity with the 1972 race think of the McGovern campaign as a train wreck. As I was a little young to be voting that year, I pretty much was of that camp, too, prior to reading this book. It turns out to have been a little more complicated than that.

Crouse gave me the sense that 1972 saw the beginning of so many things that make the way we elect presidents seem broken: the packaging of candidates, the way the game is stacked in favor of the incumbent, how just a few nationally-known reporters have a terrible amount of influence over the average voter, and how the marathon campaigning with an exhausted and bored press corps in tow colors the perceptions of these few reporters.

If you're as cynical as I am, there may not be a lot to surprise you here, at least initially. But as I kept reading, I found myself fascinated by the inside baseball, the close-ups of many who would later become major players in the punditocracy, and the day-by-day evolution of the Watergate scandal as news. I was hugely impressed by Crouse's observations and prescience, not to mention his sheer ability to write.

While reading about how a little meme (a word not then used) could get repeated over and over again by those covering the campaign, until the average citizen thought that's all there was to know about a candidate, I was reminded of several parallels to more recent events: the Dean scream. Gore as a liar. Bush as a guy you'd (supposedly) like to have a beer with. Hillary/Shrillary.

Crouse also makes a compelling case about the bias in the press at that time. Tell me if this (CliffsNotes version) sounds familiar: Many newspaper publishers and network executives -- the top bosses -- were staunch Republicans. Guess how the endorsements tended to run. Most of the reporters, on the other hand, though not necessarily Democrats, tended to be liberal-leaning on most of the issues. Crouse argues that reporters' tones suffered from these facts for two reasons: First, concern about job security, and second, being aware of their own leanings, they tended to over-compensate. They were far tougher on the Democratic candidates, and despite their near universal loathing for Nixon, most of them bent over backwards when reporting on him.

The book isn't all dark. There are lots of funny stories and a good collection of pictures, and the tearing down of more than one sacred cow. But there are powerful lessons to be learned by reading this book, especially now, when the Fourth Estate seems to be ever more frequently falling down on the job. I dream of The Boys on the Bus being added to the reading lists for all high school and college kids. For that matter, it would benefit anyone who lives in a democracy. I'd like to think that if we all read it, we could possibly start fixing some things.

If you want to know more, here's the Amazon page for a reissue edition. At this moment, Powells's has one used copy of the original paperback, as well.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait. Does it have to be the book in closest proximity? Because mine is Thill & Bovee's Excellence in Business Communication, 7th edition, Instructor's Manual with Video Guide.

One of my students is going to file a grievance since I gave her a D-. She handed in almost no work; attended class infrequently; plagarized her final paper. She's right to complain about her grade. I should have given her an F.

Anyway, that's why I haven't cleaned off my desk of my term's texts, yet.

Or is it "nearest" in a more figurative sense?

bjkeefe said...

I'm not clear on the degree to which one has to be a stickler, but it seemed like Dan TUA, who tagged me, played it pretty straight when he was tagged. He wasn't happy, but rules are rules, he seemed to acknowledge.

Most of the tags that I've seen are more like those fun surveys in magazines; e.g., "List four things about …" and I'm always like, Hey! I wanna play! Why's no one tagging me?

It all worked out, though, since I did keep meaning to write about Crouse's book.

One thing that's possibly an argument in favor of sticking to the letter of the rules on this one is that a collection of books likely to be next to computers would rarely be what we would prefer to be reading. Thus, we'd be sharing pain.

Another possibility is that the tag serves as a reminder that priorities might need to be re-examined.

A third possibility: get a web crawler of some sort to gather up all of the responses to the tag, and concatenate the three-sentence excerpts. Since most of the books are likely to be reference manuals of some sort, the result could be pretty wonderfully surreal. You know, like a Bush press conference on The New Way Forward.

I'm probably reading too much into this, of course.

Now, the lines about the D- student: were those from the book, or were you relating an anecdote from your own semester that just ended?

In either case, a student filing a grievance? For getting a deserved bad grade? Speaking of the country going to hell …

If that was you speaking, I'm sorry to hear it. I'd like to contribute a friend of the court brief on your behalf.

Anonymous said...

The thing about the McGovern campaign for President is that he ran a campaign about as skillful as John Kerry's. He was beaten by Nixon by 18 million votes the worst drubbing in U.S. History. He ran a campaign to withdraw totally from Vietnam immediately which was about as popular then as withdrawing totally and immediately from Iraq is today. His vice presidential running mate was Tom Eagleston, whom it was revealed during the campaign had been in a mental hospital (for depression). Following Bush's pattern with von Rumsfelt he first tried to stick with him but then backed off and chose Sargeant Shriver instead. This made him look like he was flip flopping and the media skewered him.

His lips didn't move much when he talked which gave him kind of a funny look and didn't sell at the beginning of the television era. He was a Kennedy liberal and gave us the food stamp program. Not a bad guy and a war hero with awards during WWII and all, but came across a lot like Kerry does today. I voted for him, but he was too much like Mondale and Kerry and not enough like the Kennedy boys. That is to say no charm and in the negative range on the charisma meter.

bjkeefe said...

There's no doubt that the McGovern campaign was itself to blame for much of the slaughter.

Crouse doesn't cut McGovern any slack on the Eagleton matter, for example. I myself remember that brouhaha quite well, despite the fact that I was much more concerned with another race at the time: that was the summer that Henry Aaron was closing in on the Babe.

But even if you lived through the 1972 campaign as a sentient adult, it might be worth reading Crouse's book to see how much sounds familiar, yet looks slightly different in his light.

BTW, TC, one of the reasons that the book was on my desk was that it was actually a duplicate copy. Watch your snail mail.

Jinnet said...

So, er, the closest books to me right now are the Lexis and Westlaw directories, which are really terribly dull. There aren't even sentences in them!

Ooo, wait, I have the NYPL Desk Reference book!

....

Page 123 consists of a list of science magazines. Curses.

Zo Kwe Zo said...

Some are born to lead. Most are born to follow. I was born to wander off and get lost.

Almost all humans have a longing to be part of a greater whole, to share a common destiny, to join the collective.

I am not one of those humans. But since you thought to include me in the reindeer games, I will play along:

The very closest book to me right now at my computer at work is ハリー・ポッターと炎のゴブレット (if your computer is unicode-challenged, that's "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" in Japanese translation). To prove it, the first sentence on page 272 is スネイプのむこう側に空席があったが、ハリーはマクゴナガル先生の席だろうと思った。 My translation is: "Across from Snape there was a vacant seat, but Harry thought it was probably Professor McGonagall's seat."

You can tell the foreign words: they are the simple characters.
スネイプ = SU NE I PU
ハリー = HA RI (lengthen previous vowel, here I)
マクゴナガル = MA KU GO NA GA RU

PS: All Japanese consonants must be followed by a vowel. They come in pairs. No vowel, no consonant. Blame Noah. A vowel can live on its own, though. Really. The cool thing about this is that any random string of Japanese symbols can be pronounced. Doing this with roman letters gives something only a Klingon could pronounce.

PPS: J. K. Rowling's full name is Joanne Kathleen Rowling. Now you know.

bjkeefe said...

I could not make my browser display the Unicode characters.

Interestingly enough, though, they displayed through email, on the same computer. (Blogger sends me a copy of the comments as they're posted by email.)

For those of you who want to see what came through, I captured the screen of the email message body and posted it on my web site.

Note that while doing a nice job on the Japanese characters, somewhere along the email lines, the carriage returns got dropped.

*Sigh.* It's all going to work someday, right?

P.S. I just checked this page with a Mac -- still no joy. It could possibly be the template for the blog that's to blame.

bjkeefe said...

Yeah. I think it is the template. For example, I can properly view the Japanese Google page.

Well, the template needs work. No argument there.

Sorry, Dan, and everybody else. I'm on it.

Brando said...

Hey, thanks for the tag. I replied, although my book was not as, um, literary.

ShareThis