Sunday, March 11, 2007

DST Update

As I mentioned a few days ago, Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. starts earlier this year -- today, 11 March. Here's how my various computers/OSes handled the change in date:

  • Windows 2000 SP4: system clock remained on Standard Time (as expected; see earlier post). Followed the somewhat clunky update procedure described on Microsoft's site a few minutes ago (i.e., several hours after the change point), and then things seemed okay.
  • Windows XP SP2: system clock moved ahead two hours. Sync'ed with network time server, corrected time.
  • Ubuntu 6.06: remained on Standard Time. Sync'ed with network time server, corrected time.
  • Mac OS X Tiger (10.4): correctly adjusted clock.

Kudos to Apple. Boos and hisses to Ubuntu. This should have been fixed as part of the usual updating. As I recall, there was a kernel upgrade provided within the past few weeks. Even if time isn't maintained through the kernel, this would have been a good point to add a patch. Boos and hisses to Microsoft, also, and for two reasons: First, the Win2000 procedure should have been implemented as a standard patch accessible via Windows Update. Second, it is unbelievable that the "correction" on XP didn't work properly. Evidently, it was applied twice.

Your war stories?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Microsoft XP Media Center version 2002 (which I just bought in late 2006) with Service Pack 2 adjusted to the correct time.

My all new Windows Vista laptop is still booting up 15 hours later ... no, just kidding. I set the date and time yesterday when I got it. Early review of Vista: Buy more speed!

Sornie said...

My Mac OSX (which I am on right now) updated with no problems, my PC, though, I didn't pay any attention to because it's alot like a middle child, sorta neglected. My work computer is a PC and I'll be amazed if it actually can do anything correctly.

Unknown said...

Amen on the middle child observation. Can't speak to Macs.

ShareThis