Friday, March 30, 2007

NYT-picking: The Search for a New Public Editor

According to Jack Shafer's Press Box column on Slate, the NY Times will be hiring a new Public Editor when Byron Calame steps down in April. (His source was Women's Wear Daily. Who knew?)

<aside>

Hey! Maybe my January post to Bill Keller worked! It must have -- he was evidently too shamed ever to reply.

</aside>

But seriously, I'm glad that Keller made the decision to keep the position, and I'm probably with the overwhelming majority when I hope that he'll get someone more like Daniel Okrent, the first PE. Shafer suggests someone under thirty, with not too much newspaper experience, and makes a good case for these suggestions. He also proposes some worthy nominees.

I can't think of any names offhand that compare with Shafer's suggestions, although I will point out that:

  • I'm only 26 if you express my age in vigesimal notation; and,
  • My gross earnings from newspaper work, deliveries aside, amount to less than $100.

No comments:

ShareThis