Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Oh, This Hurts

If you've known me for a while, you know how much I loved the blogger pseudonymously known as Jon Swift. Yes, past tense, sadly, it appears. Via Kevin K. and Tom Watson, here is a comment posted under the last entry on his blog:

mlfcyw said...

I don't know how else to tell you all who love this blog. I am Jon Swift's Mom and I guess I'm going to OUT him. He was Al Weisel, my beloved son. Al was on his way to his father's funeral in VA when he suffered 2 aortic aneurysms, a leaky aortic valve and an aortic artery dissection from his heart to his pelvis. He had 3 major surgeries within 24 hours and sometime during those surgeries also suffered a severe stroke. We, his 2 sisters, his brother, his partner and his best friend since he was 9 years old were with him as he took his last breath. We have all lost a shining start who warmed our hearts, tormented us and made us laugh as he giggled at our pulling something over on us. He passed away on February 27, 2010. My beloved child will live on in so many hearts. I miss him more than I can say. If you are on Facebook, go to organizations and join "Friends of Al Weisel, Unite!" It will give you just a taste of how special he was. Farewell, Jon (Al)

3/02/2010 8:14 AM

That Facebook page is here.

Al Weisel, or as I knew him, Jon Swift


I have the oddest feeling that this is a hoax, in part since Jon Swift has been dormant for about a year -- maybe Al (or whoever it is) just wants to bring that part of his life to a close? Or a friend of Al's is playing a weird joke?

But that's probably because I don't want this news to be true.

Kevin K. has links to some of Jon's classics. I'll add another, and propose that this phrase be enshrined in his honor: "I have not actually read this book."

__________


[Added] John Cole has another favorite moment.

No comments:

ShareThis