Saturday, June 24, 2006

Word Nerd Heard

So, I was reading Robert Alter's review of Stephen B. Smith's book about Leo Strauss (now there's a topic sentence guaranteed to grab attention!) and I came across a term I had not heard before.

Back in the early days of Google, there was a game whose object was to type in a word pair that would yield exactly one link in return. (I never actually played this game myself, having at all times since the Internet was invented maintained a much fuller and more purposeful life.)

Anyway, I was reminded of this game when I typed in the phrase, in quotes: "conformist progressivism." On all the billions of web pages out there, the only place this exact phrase appears is in . . . Robert Alter's review of Stephen B. Smith's book about Leo Strauss.

No comments:

ShareThis