Thursday, February 16, 2012

I'd knock that shit off if I was you, Marvin

Just fired up Google Chrome. walked away from the machine, and when I came back, I saw a pop-up trying to get me to add McAfee secure search and browsing or some shit.

Can't be sure it was Google, but there's nothing else running that I'd suspect. Anyone else had this happen, and feel like it's because you just fired up Chrome?

I'm less inclined to make "Don't be evil" jokes than most people I know, but if they're starting to try to deliver shovelware just for using their browser, I'm going to become a Google-hater, too.

(title: cf.)

[Added] Probably not Chrome's fault. I had the McAfee SiteAdvisor add-on installed. WHICH I DON'T REMEMBER INSTALLING, but I'm willing to concede I might have, long ago. Threw that thing in the trash where it belongs, of course.

[Added2] But ugh. See SM's note in Comments.

4 comments:

M. Bouffant said...

I've been having a bit of trouble w/ Chrome recently, but nothing like that.

bjkeefe said...

The more I think about it, the more I think it was the add-on's fault (see update).

I guess all this thinking about privacy got me a little paranoid, and I stopped thinking very clearly. Which, it has to be said, is how most of the posts on this blog get generated, so I can't complain too much.

Substance McGravitas said...

Note this.

bjkeefe said...

That is truly horrible.

Google+ really does seem to be causing them to make a lot of bad decisions/do a lot of evil things, doesn't it?

ShareThis