Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Tidbits from the Morning Mail 2006-01-17

From the Harper's Magazine Weekly Review, this week by Paul Ford:
Tony Blair's government was planning to lift a 40-year prohibition against spying on members of Parliament. British officials, including the Secretary of State for Defense, were opposed to the plan. Blair also admitted to smacking his children.
Since we know that Mr. Blair hardly does anything without direct orders from our President, you gotta wonder about the twins -- is this why they keep getting busted for D&D?

Also from the HMWR, this:

Western Australian Premier Geoff Gallop resigned due to depression. "I now need the space required," he said, "to start the process of full recovery."
What do you know? A politician who resigned for reasons other than "to spend more time with my family"! Kudos for the honesty and best wishes for a speedy recovery, I say.

+ + + + +

Continuing the effort of debunking librarian stereotypes: my second cousin, Jinnet, allowed as how she has a blog and a web site. Don't visit either of them. They're better than mine and you'll never come back.

+ + + + +

Take a fun political quiz, at this site. You'll be shocked, shocked to find out that I'm a liberal (personal issues score: 80%, economic issues score: 20%). It's clear from the scores that to be what this site wants you to be, you had better be a libertarian. Take the quiz and post your results, here, as a comment. C'mon, it'll be fun if lots of us do it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just gotta love a moniker "Spooky Librarians."

Anonymous said...

Am I wishy-washy? Growing more conservative day-by-day? Lack the courage of my convictions? For today I'm:

Your PERSONAL issues Score is 60%.
Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 30%.

But yesterday, Dennis K. would have wanted to lunch with me.

Probably has to do with my children having 1/2 days today; that always makes me more militant.

bjkeefe said...

Who is Dennis K?

Oh, wait. As in, "rhymes with 'spinach?'"

A good man.

ShareThis