Monday, January 16, 2006

A Phishy Tale

I just got a piece of spam, in which the old "help me get this money out of this bank account" song was sung. This time, it was
". . . our client Gen. Aadel Akgaal Bastaan who was with the Iraqi forces and also businessman made a numbered fixed deposit for 18 calendar months, with a value of Twenty Four million Five Hundred Thousand United State Dollars only in my branch . . . We later find out that the General along with his wife and only daughter had been killed during the war in a bomb blast that hit their home."
In this case, however, the spammer's less than complete grasp of the English language reveals a curious truth. In his opening paragraph, he says (emph. added):
Let me start by introducing myself. I am MR.Cheung Pui director of operations of the Hang Seng Bank Ltd. I have an obscured business suggestion for you.
Indeed.

1 comment:

bjkeefe said...

BTW, if you get a piece of spam that strikes you as especially phishy; i.e., one that seems like it is trying to con you into giving up money and/or personal info, there is something that you can do about it.

Surf on over to http://www.us-cert.gov/nav/report_phishing.html and follow the instructions there about how to forward them the email.

Who knows whether it will do any good? It makes me feel good to do it, at any rate.

Ordinarily, I'm against telling on people, especially to our current .gov. But in this case, I figure, what the hell. I'd rather see phishers in jail than "enemy non-combatants" any day of the week.

ShareThis