Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Is It Still That Bad?

Yes. It's still that bad.

I wrote earlier about the worth of other people making me read a news story for a second time. Here's another example.

Actually, in this case, the commentary made me read the story for the first time. I didn't even make it past the headline of this one, this morning. I thought: bad. It turns out: worse.

I don't mean to step on Steve Benen's final line, but really. Who could help but think of a certain chocolatey dessert from the get-go?

As one minor consolation, I think I now understand Virgil Goode's recent misanthropy. I don't excuse it by any stretch, but at least I now see why an apparent raving lunatic is raving.

Because he's just following orders.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I read both (assessment; refugees) stories in the Times. Your yawning over them is probably a function of the manner in which you get your news -- I suggest a return to the good ol' days of newsprint!

bjkeefe said...

That's an interesting point, but I don't think so.

Back in the days when I either subscribed to the paper or had it as part of my morning ritual to buy it from the newsstand, I often had the same problem of skimming or skipping stories that deserved more attention.

There are probably lots of reasons. Three that come to mind are: too much bad news, too many other things to read, and an inability to maintain as much focus as I'd like every time I'm reading. None of these wasn't a problem when I was reading the paper off of paper, though.

ShareThis