Friday, March 23, 2012

Apple Annoyances

Not only does iTunes require a full download and reinstall for every minor patch, it can't even be arsed to remember that I clicked this checkbox every previous time I updated.

And how about this? Safari silently changes filetype associations, even after a mere patch update.

And apparently, quite deeply in the bowels of the system. Here's what it looks like after I change the filetype association back to the way I want it, on MY computer:

Are these things minor? Perhaps. But it does indicate a bad attitude, all part of the Steve Knows Best arrogance that insists that you don't know how you want to run your own computer.

8 comments:

Uncle Ebeneezer said...

Heh. Don't you know that Apple can't afford to do better because of the burden of those pesky US regulations. Now maybe if Cupertino was more like China...

bjkeefe said...

All those reports are false!!!1! Apple is a workers' paradise!!!1!

bjkeefe said...

Also, was it just a coincidence that you posted your comment at 4:20?

Uncle Ebeneezer said...

Well, for those working in the US (I know a couple), Apple is undeniably a great employer.

It actually was not 4:20 here, so I jumped in my Obama time machine (perfect for preemptive birth certificate forging) and made some magic happen.

M. Bouffant said...

As an early Betamax adopter, I will never again buy hardware not accepted by the vast majority of consuming Yankee sheep.

Uncle Ebeneezer said...

Heh. My dad swore that Beta would win the video wars and even years after everything was VHS, we were driving halfway across the state (MA) to find the one remaining rental place (remember those?) that had Beta.

Hey MB., nice to make your acquaintance. I'm up in Altadena, and frequent K-town quite a bit. I dug your post on the Rose Bowl blimps. It seemed they were everywhere up here, that weekend. I thought the gov had traded in their black-copters for more vintage technologies in their efforts to spy on me! --John/Uncle Eb

Substance McGravitas said...

Apple software just sucks on Windows. It ain't good. I have Safari around just to have another browser when I need one, but I don't see any reason to have their stuff except that I'm used to it.

bjkeefe said...

@SM: Yeah. I meant to say something in the post that the only reason I have Safari on my PC is for cross-browser testing.

@MB: Zip disks or Jaz disks?

ShareThis