Friday, April 27, 2007

Time Warp?

So, I turn on my TV, to see if I can get a PBS station to catch tonight's Bill Moyers Journal -- I'm cable-free, meaning I was testing the rabbit ears -- and what do I see?

A baseball game! Red Sox-Yankees no less! On free TV! In April! On a Friday night! What's up with that?

It's on Channel 13, which is evidently called "my 9," if all the on-screen logos are to be believed. I'm so confused.

BTW: The announcers are doing a split-screen of A-Rod batting from last year and this year, and are attempting to make a big deal out of a subtle change in stride to explain his torrid April this year. Me, I'm convinced it's because he switched back to the classic knickers, and away from the current fashion horror -- draggy pants legs. I bet Manny Ramirez could hit .400 if he'd get his cuffs off his heels.

Right now, Daisuke Matsuzaka is facing Hideki Matsui, and they're showing a split-screen close-up on both faces. I'll resist the temptation to make an allusion to a karate movie. This is definitely a good part of globalization.

2-0, Sox. Bases loaded for the Yanks, no out. Gotta go.


Update

2007-04-27 20:40 EDT

Thought the Yanks were gonna blow that chance, but with two outs and only one run in, both Johnny Damon and Derek Jeter showed just how important bat control -- and not swinging for the fences -- can be. Protect the plate half-swing on a 3-2 count by Damon: soft single, 2 RBIs. Going with the pitch, hit it the other way by Jeter. Another RBI.

I miss baseball on TV. Can you tell?

No comments:

ShareThis