Monday, April 09, 2007

Another thing I didn't know

According to the Harry Shearer, on the 8 April edition of Le Show, David Hicks, the Australian citizen who recently signed a plea agreement at a military tribunal -- obviously, to get himself out of Gitmo -- pleaded guilty to "offending" a law which was passed four years after he was detained.

Shearer's discussion of the topic, covering among other things Hicks's testimony of the torture he endured and witnessed, and perhaps even more importantly, how quickly the story died in the US media, is well worth listening to -- it's right at the beginning. The audio stream should work even over dial-up.

Shearer's source for all this is the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, which obtained an affidavit of Hicks's sworn statement to a British court.

5 comments:

Sornie said...

That is just insane and now I'm kicking myself for not updating my iPod last night. I always like hearing how the government is stretching its legal use of prisons for their own warped purposes.

BTW, the auction-o-crap link is up, laugh away...

http://sorenson.blogspot.com/2007/04/being-weird-grabs-attention.html

bjkeefe said...

Sornie --

You should still be able to get the show at KCRW, either via podcast or straight MP3 download.

Thanks for posting the auction link. I'll be over in your Comments to snicker momentarily.

Alastair said...

Brendan, surely you knew this already?

bjkeefe said...

I did see your post on the matter when you first put it up, Alastair. I confess to the name David Hicks not ringing a bell at that moment, so I didn't read it closely enough. I apologize.

One very weak excuse: I sometimes feel as though I'm so numb to the daily horrors of the Bush Administration that I need to be told some things more than once.

Unknown said...

ex post facto laws. not allowed. read the constitution. jeepers.

ShareThis