Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Now Even More Proud of My Lapsed State

The five justices who turned the Supreme Court around last week and upheld the ban on "partial birth abortion" had much in common.

All are men. All were nominated by conservative Republican presidents. And, it was widely noted, all are Roman Catholics.

(source)

I added the emphasis above, because I wasn't part of that "widely" until now.

I knew about Roberts, Scalia and Scalito Alito, and probably would have guessed as much about Kennedy. But has Clarence Thomas always been a Catholic? Or did Scalia tell him what to do here, too?

Okay, that was uncalled for.

But here's something that is called for, and good on the Times for including the line in the same story:

I do not speak for my church on public matters, and the church does not speak for me.
-- John F. Kennedy


(whole speech here)

Those were the days.


Update

2007-04-25 22:25 EDT

And as for the supposed Catholic view on the sanctity of life, would you care to guess the four justices in the minority when the Supreme Court threw out three death penalties today?

(Answer here.)

You had to look?

No comments:

ShareThis