Tuesday, April 10, 2007

CC: My email to Robert Wright

Dear Mr. Wright,

That was a great column [T$] that you had in the NY Times today. I am one of those liberals who occasionally strays beyond "deep ambivalence" concerning the United Nations, and rarely have I read a defense of that institution that is anything but clichés. Very well done. Good jokes, too. You packed a lot into 700 words.

One other reason to salute: "to sometimes not authorize things." I am occasionally a stick in the mud about the English language, but one rule I do not think deserves absolute obedience is the one about split infinitives. As E. B. White has said, know the rules so that when you break them, you do so gracefully. I think you nailed that here.

Or maybe, you just thought two wrongs make a Wright?

Brendan Keefe
(A loyal bloggingheads.tv watcher since Jan 2007)

No comments:

ShareThis