Monday, September 17, 2007

Another Benchmark Deemed Unimportant

No, no. Come back. This has nothing to do with Iraq.

This is slightly old news, but I just heard about it. The headline:

Dropouts

The United States has quietly withdrawn from an international study comparing math and science students.

Guess we didn't need to prove that we could whup Cyprus and South Africa again.

I'm a little dubious about linking to the full story, since this appears to be that source's notion of "fair and balanced" reporting [emph. added]:

Conspiracy theorists suggest that the U.S. government withdrew from the study without making any announcement because it anticipated another poor showing. "Maybe they don’t want to hear more bad news, says John Ewing, executive director of the American Mathematical Society.

I could probably find another source, but I'm too busy picking the first reason to bang my head on the desk.

No comments:

ShareThis