Saturday, September 29, 2007

Line of the Day: 2007-09-29

Censorship is the strongest drive in human nature; sex is a weak second.
-- Phil Kerby (attributed)

This comes from the American Library Association's site, where they have all kinds of great pages celebrating Banned Book Week.

As my referers [sic, cf. para. 3], the good people at Unshelved, remind you:

Read Irresponsibly

The shirt is still vaporware, but only for a few more days. But the good news is, while you're waiting to buy it, you can read the comics!

And go get yourself a banned book. They can't throw all of us in Gitmo, can they?

_____



P.S. Better hurry. Last year's most challenged book? It was about penguins.

Seriously.

8 comments:

Bridget Jones said...

You're kidding.

Penguins??

Anonymous said...

Censorship of one's own drives, if you're RePUBLICan. Indulgence of the vieled and the expunged elements of one's digital, public body. Oh, would that the shaded remain shaded.

John Evo said...

Brendon - the link to the Penguins book isn't working - or perhaps it's me.

I'm reading "Lamb" right now and was wondering if the religious right challenged it on grounds of being "offensive" when it came out a few years ago.

bjkeefe said...

John EV:

The penguin book link works as of this moment. You should see "And Tango Makes Three" as the headline on the page.

bjkeefe said...

Oops. I meant, "John EM:"

John Evo said...

I had to smile at this:

Off the list this year, but on for several years past, are the "Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger, "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck and "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain.

Classics all.

bjkeefe said...

I still have yet to read Huck Finn but I sure agree about the other two.

bjkeefe said...

I think I knew that, about "Nigger Jim."

While "nigger" is a heinous word in most contexts, I agree, there needn't be a blanket ban on uttering it. This is a perfect example of such a case.

ShareThis