Thursday, September 27, 2007

Worst Idea Ever

You know, there's blind love. There's wingnuttery. There's batshit insane. And then there's Kathryn Jean Lopez.

I usually let the good people at Outside The Tent and Sadly, No! dispose of the ruminations of K-Lo. But I couldn't let this one go:

Whatever your nits to pick, can anyone (who's not wrong!) disagree that George W. Bush is a human-rights leader of the kind that would be great to have at the United Nations when his term is over? Dubya for secretary general!

For the moment, let's ignore considerations of geographical cluelessness and a tendency to channel Nero in the face of natural disasters. Leave aside, as well, the worldwide hatred engendered by Bush's warmongering. What about, you know, class?

Do we really want the world's top diplomat to be someone who talks with his mouth full, and who believes the way to relate to female dignitaries is via winking and groping?

(h/t: Andrew Sullivan)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You've got to be kidding. She's got to be kidding. I can think of no job for which George Bush is less suited than a job that requires diplomacy, intelligence, and an intricate understanding of the geo-political world.

bjkeefe said...

I'm pretty sure K-Lo is not kidding. Follow some of the links to posts on the Outside The Tent and Sadly, No! sites. This woman is a True Believer.

Alastair said...

Hangon, I thought wingnuts generally hated the UN? Or am I unfairly stereotyping them again? Or is this some not-so-subtle attempt to get them back on track? I'm sure Bushie will do a heckuva job.

Tangentially: When I was living in Colorado a few years back I was driving down a back road and came across a large, professionally produced, billboard. It read "The UN Wants Your Gun".

Many years later and I'm still pondering the implications of that sign.

bjkeefe said...

Alastair --

Your first mistake was to confuse someone who writes for National Review Online with someone who thinks clearly.

Regarding the Colorado sign: There was a big conspiracy theory here in the U.S. which I used to hear about all the time. It involved the World Government/New World Order, in the guise of the United Nations, taking over the United States. Of course, the invading forces would first want to strip all red-blooded Amurrikins of their right to bear arms.

There are more branches to this than I could ever list, but I do want to mention my one of my all-time favorites: When barcodes were added to the back of road signs, the wingnuts interpreted them as coded directions to hidden arms caches, so that the invading forces could invade in a lightning strike and/or stealthily infiltrate, and not have to carry weapons until Moment Zero.

Such thinking seems to have died down lately, or maybe I'm no longer privy to it. But you might note this scholarly tome. (And author's bio.)

ShareThis