Sunday, August 13, 2006

Here's one of the freedoms they don't hate

The president of Iran, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, has started his own blog.

As cool looking as Arabic letters are, you'll probably find it easier to read the English version. Click on the flag image near the top of the page that looks like this: en.gif. I mean, on his blog.

I haven't gotten to the content yet, but there is a "poll" available on the home page. The question, verbatim:

Do you think that the US and Israeli intention and goal by attacking Lebanon is pulling the trigger for another word war

As of right now, the results are 3058 (35%) yes, 5580 (65%) no.

Think Dick Cheney's carpal tunnel is flaring up?

In all seriousness, I think it's great that we have this additional option to gain some insight into Ahmadinejad's thinking. It's probably going to be mostly propaganda and PR puff, but it almost never hurts to listen.

Thanks to the Huff Post for calling this to my attention, and to Fox News, yes, Fox News, for having the guts to print the actual URL.


[Update 2006-08-13 19:50 EDT]: Okay, I just read the first post. (And posted a comment -- I'm so going to jail.) The English is not perfect, although you gotta love that the translator knows the word "crapulence." The piece does give you a sense of what it feels like, from an Iranian point of view, especially concerning the Shah and the 1980s war with Iraq.

Have a look for yourself.

1 comment:

bjkeefe said...

For the record, my comment on Ahmadinejad's blog was as follows:

-------
Thank you for publishing your thoughts, Mr. President.

May our two nations continue to freely converse.

Assalumu alaikum. [Peace be unto you.]
-------

Did I sign my name? Of course I did. That makes two governments that I don't trust who have my name in their database.

ShareThis