Saturday, July 28, 2007

Eye Rolling Article of the Day: It's a Tie

I often wonder what's up with the world when I look at the NY Times Top 10 Emailed articles list. Sometimes there's an interesting outlier. Too often, though, the articles on the list have to do with some perceived social phenomenon or another. Emphasis on perceived.

There's an old saying in the newspaper busines: Twice is a coincidence. Three times is a trend!

I'd like to believe this saying originated with crusty and cynical reporters, hard-bitten, just-the-facts types. Rose-colored view of the past or not, today's news biz seems overwhelmed by people who miss the irony in that statement. Articles often sound like the reporter heard some tidbit amid idle cocktail party chatter, spent an hour or two on the phone the next day to see if anyone else had anecdotes like that, and then banged out a piece on something Sweeping The Nation.

From today's list, we have two examples. The first, "When Whippersnappers and Geezers Collide," describes the rift, no, gulf, no, chasm of misunderstanding between the managers at giant corporations and the twenty year olds who intern for them.

The second, "Cake, but No Presents, Please," describes the latest craze in the Perfect Parent Parade: guest toddlers now come bearing money to be donated to the candleblower's charity of choice.

Gah. I wish I had a bird. Then I could have a cage. Then I'd need to line it.


P.S. I know you're itching to point out that this blog post is itself an example of noting some dubious trend, based to a mere two examples. Don't make me drown you in supporting evidence.

No comments:

ShareThis