Monday, July 03, 2006

Burn On

A few days ago, I posted my thoughts about the flag burning nonsense.

Yesterday, Frank Rich had his say. (The link points to a location behind the TimesSelect wall. Sorry.) He pretty much said what I said, but way better, using considerably fewer words:

"Old Glory lost today," Bill Frist declaimed last week when his second attempt to rewrite the Constitution in a single month went the way of his happy prognosis for Terri Schiavo. Of course it isn't Old Glory that lost when the flag-burning amendment flamed out. The flag always survives the politicians who wrap themselves in it.

The rest of his piece talks about the W administration's latest attempts at distracting the voters, including painting the NYTimes as the enemy of national security and trumpeting the arrest of "terrorists" in Miami.

A must read. Let me know if you want me to email you a copy.

No comments:

ShareThis