Friday, April 04, 2008

The Never-Ending Attempt to Suppress The Truth Continues

(Updated below)


Bush gives you the fingerVia Don and Jinnet, I learned of this latest bit of Bushwackery:

A U.S. government-funded medical information site that bills itself as the world's largest database on reproductive health has quietly begun to block searches on the word "abortion," concealing nearly 25,000 search results.

LibrarianActivist has a nice post on the matter, too. Among the links offered is a contact URL for the offending organization. Which you might want to attend to, post haste, for some reason I can't quite put my finger on at the moment.


Update

2008-04-04 20:02

Don reports some good news: corrective action appears imminent. Excerpt from a statement by the Dean:

I could not disagree more strongly with this decision, and I have directed that the POPLINE administrators restore "abortion" as a search term immediately. I will also launch an inquiry to determine why this change occurred.

The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health is dedicated to the advancement and dissemination of knowledge and not its restriction.

Am I too old to say w00t!!?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tremble at the power of the blogosphere as the head dog at Johns Hopkins drops the hammer on the idiots behind this decision. A win for the good guys.

bjkeefe said...

Thanks for letting me know about the update, Don. As it happened, I saw your latest post before your comment. Guess my RSS reader bings louder than my email.

Indeed, a nice moment for the reality-based community.

ShareThis